When is the best time to stain my deck,porch or fence in the St. Louis area?
I get a lot of calls late spring, after the majority of of the rainy season has passed and before the summer heat has set in, it is a sensible time to paint or stain a deck or porch in St. Louis or Illinois.
Autumn is also a logical time of the year to stain or paint an exterior structure like a deck or porch. Mid-autumn usually has mild, dry days and cool nights with low humidity. Getting the project done before winter protects the wood from cold weather, wind and precipitation.
Here are some tips for applying stain in St. Louis,MO.
- First pressure wash to remove any mildew on the deck.Power washing also removes some of the old stain.
- Apply stain when air and wood surface temperatures are between 50°—90°F. Avoid applying in direct sunlight.
- Don’t apply stain if rain is in the forecast over the next 12—24 hours.
- Test a small area first and let it dry to make sure you’re pleased with the result.
- If you’re covering a large area and using multiple gallons, mix them together to ensure color consistency.
- I use a big tarp to cover whatever is underneath the deck.
- I do the rails first with a tarp underneath so I don’t get any on the decking. This avoids ugly drips that can be seen through semi-transparent stain.
- To avoid “lap marks” make sure that the leading edge is kept wet and that wet stain is brushed into wet stain.
- On new decks, apply only one coat of oil-based deck finishes.
- Keep in mind more stain is not better. If you over-apply, stain may peel or crack when exposed to moisture, or produce a sticky surface which can prevent it from drying properly.
- Use a semi-solid stain on older decks to cover worn areas better.
- Call Carter Custom Painting at 314-757-6973 if you need a Professional Deck staining job completed.
- Not sure when to stain your deck? If the stain is still repelling water, it’s still performing. You may just need to clean the deck this season.
fence staining semi-solid cabot
semi-transparent deck staining stl
frontenac solid color fence staining
crestwood, mo solid color stain fence
big deck staining
two story deck staining
St. Louis fence staining
Stl Fence Staining
deck staining and painting
chesterfield deck staining
wildwood deck staining
des peres deck staining
fenton deck staining
florrisant deck staining
imperial deck and playset staining
valley park deck
deck power washing and staining
pool deck staining
solid color deck stain
cedar deck staining
deck staining contractor
cedar deck staining
Cabot is my stain of choice. I use sherwin williams also.
Thanks! My deck looks like new
Thanks for publishing this useful information! If you will keep doing your fantastic job i’ll visit your updates.
I found your weblog helpful. Keep doing the good work we’ll come back to your site!
This is just a top website. I think I’ll visit your website again when you post more of the information. Thanks a lot for publishing this information.
Thanks a lot 4 sharing this awesome info! if you keep up the great work I will follow your site.